David vs. Goliath: using your size as a strength as a vegan sole trader
Are you a vegan sole trader wondering how on earth you can compete with big brands?
While you may not have the same resources or market dominance, here are some pointers about using your size as your greatest strength:
Sell what you love
People buy from people. If you are passionate about your vegan products and have a personal story to sell, share this as your customers will connect with that passion.
While you might not be able to get your vegan products stocked by supermarkets straight away, try reaching out to influencers and be bold about sharing what makes your products special.
Provide a personal service
One of the main complaints against big businesses is that their offering is impersonal.
You can be the antidote to that. Get to know your customers, talk to them, ask for their opinions and respond to their feedback. The relationships you build will help you grow.
Connect with local businesses
As a vegan sole trader, it’s a great opportunity to connect with local businesses, whether as customers or suppliers. Discover how you can support each other and make that part of your story.
Get clear about your brand values
What is it that you want your business to stand for? What values and ethics matter to you? How can you incorporate this into what you sell? People want to buy from businesses that share their values.
Take your business online
The great thing about the digital age is that it enables you to compete against bigger brands on a global stage.
Tap into your agility
As a small business, you have the flexibility to respond to new trends quickly. You can slip into a gap in the market without global rollouts, marketing or decision-making by committee.
Find your niche
If you can do what you do really well, people will start to see you as an expert in your field. This can help you to get press coverage, connect with influencers, find suppliers and build a big reputation despite your small size.
Got any tips you’d like to share as a vegan sole trader? What’s worked for your business? We’d love to hear from you.
- Blog Home
- Animal freedom
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Environmentally friendly
- Ethical consumption
- Ethical Globe Academy
- Guest Blog
- Guest Interviews
- Inclusive responsibility (Food and Agriculture)
- Justice for all
- Why veganism is a human rights issue
- Why blog? The benefits of blogging to grow your vegan organisation
- Nine things we can all do to help stop animal experimentation
- How to champion human rights and the rights of our fellow animals during the Festive season
- What are the alternatives to animal testing?
- Jordi Casamitjana, Writer, Vegan Activist, Animal Rights Campaigner, and Zoologist
- Which social media platforms are best for your vegan organisation?
- Why it’s time to end animal testing and take the suffering out of science
- Fishes have feelings too
- Aylam Orian, Our Planet. Theirs Too. NARD and the Declaration of Animal Rights