David vs. Goliath: using your size as a strength as a vegan sole trader
Are you a vegan sole trader wondering how on earth you can compete with big brands?
While you may not have the same resources or market dominance, here are some pointers about using your size as your greatest strength:
Sell what you love
People buy from people. If you are passionate about your vegan products and have a personal story to sell, share this as your customers will connect with that passion.
While you might not be able to get your vegan products stocked by supermarkets straight away, try reaching out to influencers and be bold about sharing what makes your products special.
Provide a personal service
One of the main complaints against big businesses is that their offering is impersonal.
You can be the antidote to that. Get to know your customers, talk to them, ask for their opinions and respond to their feedback. The relationships you build will help you grow.
Connect with local businesses
As a vegan sole trader, it’s a great opportunity to connect with local businesses, whether as customers or suppliers. Discover how you can support each other and make that part of your story.
Get clear about your brand values
What is it that you want your business to stand for? What values and ethics matter to you? How can you incorporate this into what you sell? People want to buy from businesses that share their values.
Take your business online
The great thing about the digital age is that it enables you to compete against bigger brands on a global stage.
Tap into your agility
As a small business, you have the flexibility to respond to new trends quickly. You can slip into a gap in the market without global rollouts, marketing or decision-making by committee.
Find your niche
If you can do what you do really well, people will start to see you as an expert in your field. This can help you to get press coverage, connect with influencers, find suppliers and build a big reputation despite your small size.
Got any tips you’d like to share as a vegan sole trader? What’s worked for your business? We’d love to hear from you.
- Business and Entrepreneurship
- Environmentally friendly
- Ethical consumption
- Guest Blog
- Inclusive responsibility (Food and Agriculture)
- Justice for all
- Ethical skincare: Some questions to ask before you buy
- 15 easy ways to reduce your household waste
- Food sovereignty: An introduction
- What is food justice?
- 7 reasons that more veganic farming is urgently needed
- 9 ways you can support local independent businesses
- Clean label and ingredient transparency: What’s the difference?
- Local food systems: What are they and why are they important?
- My journey to create Fungtn, a more mindful vegan craft beer for conscious consumers
- How Community Ownership is Shaping Businesses