The Hemp Pantry
- The Hemp Pantry
More about The Hemp Pantry
Purveyors of organic plant-based food, 100% vegan and free from.
The Hemp Pantry is located in Fareham, Hampshire, England. The company’s vision is to support and encourage sustainable, plant-based food production, and to show that food can be produced with an ingredients list that anyone can understand and that benefits people and the environment now and into the future.
Matthew Atkins is a professional chef and the founder of The Hemp Pantry. He is the creator of Veurre®, the organic plant-based alternative to butter that is free from dairy, nuts, soya and palm oil.
Matthew began his chef career at 16. As passionate about travelling as he is about cooking, at 19 he moved to Europe and worked as a chef in restaurants and hotels across the continent. After four successful years in mainland Europe, he then became a private chef on board luxury superyachts providing 6* service to some of the world’s most influential people. It was during this time that he started to develop his own products to cater to his discerning vegan and dairy-free clients and their guests.
Determined to improve many of the early vegan recipes he prepared, he started researching and using unique ingredients in order to reach the level of excellence he wanted. Not being able to find suitable, high quality plant-based alternatives, he decided to create his own.
Originally, Veurre® contained almond milk but Matthew wanted to make it free from all the major allergens so it could be used for his soya-free and nut-free clients. He switched the almond milk for hemp milk and the rest as they say is history!
Hemp has numerous health and sustainability benefits, and Matthew decided to use it as a main ingredient in all of his plant-based products. He left the yachting industry and returned to the UK to perfect the Veurre® recipe for a further two years before launching The Hemp Pantry.
We are open from 9 am - 5 pm Monday to Friday.
You can purchase all of our products online through our webshop.
Next day delivery service for orders ordered before 2 pm Monday - Thursday.
10% Discount of all Products
Promo code: ETHICAL10
Use code ETHICAL10 at the checkout to claim your 10% discount.
Email: [email protected]
Connect & follow The Hemp Pantry
- Are all the products your entity (business, brand, organisation) produces and/or retails suitable for vegans? If no, then, unfortunately, you cannot register as we only accept submissions from 100% vegan entities.
- Which of the following best describes you (professionals and sole traders) or your organisation?
- Is your organisation an independent business/brand or a corporate owned business/brand?
- Are you a Grassroots organisation (for projects, charities/NGOs)?
- What type of business/organisation are you?
Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
- Which social, economic or environmental justice causes does your entity (business, brand, organisation) support or promote (e.g. through social media posts, donations, attending protests and other direct actions etc.)?
- What do you do to support or promote each of the causes you have identified?
We support World Land Trust by donating 10p for every packet of Veurre® sold
- Does your business/organisation have an ethical labour policy or code of practice (either formal or informal) which ensures fair labour practices?
- Does your business/organisation have policies and practices which actively promote diversity and inclusion?
- Is your business a member of the World Fair Trade Organisation?
- Do any of the products you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, have fairtrade certifications?
Many (one to two thirds)
- Do you source products and/or ingredients from companies and suppliers that support fair labour practices?
Environment and Sustainability
- If any of the products you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, have a sustainable production certification, please indicate which certifications apply?
- Overall, how many of the products that you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, are certified by the sustainable production certifications listed in the question above?
- Are any of the products that you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, free of palm oil?
- Do you reuse, recycle and/or donate any waste products (e.g. food, plastics, packaging etc.)?
- Do you only use recycled or recyclable materials for packaging?
- Is all of your packaging biodegradable?
- Does your business, organisation or project follow a zero waste philosophy?
Energy, Transport and Distribution
- How many of the products you produce and/or retail, and/or the ingredients you use, are made in the country in which your entity (business, organisation) is based?