- Oxford Clay
More about Oxford Clay
We are a studio pottery based in Oxford which specialises in vegan certified handmade ceramics. We have designed our ceramics to cause minimal impact on humans, animals and the environment. All our ceramics are made with clay sourced from the UK, fired with renewable energy. We do not add any toxic colourants to our glazes; they are coloured naturally by the minerals and trace metals in the recycled wood ash that we use to make our glazes. All our ceramics are certified as vegan by The Vegan Society.
Email: [email protected]
Connect & follow Oxford Clay
- Are all the products your entity (business, brand, organisation) produces and/or retails suitable for vegans? If no, then, unfortunately, you cannot register as we only accept submissions from 100% vegan entities.
- Which of the following best describes you (professionals and sole traders) or your organisation?
- Is your organisation an independent business/brand or a corporate owned business/brand?
- Are you a BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic) owned/run business/organisation?
- What type of business/organisation are you?
- Are you a woman-owned/run business/organisation?
Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
- Which social, economic or environmental justice causes does your entity (business, brand, organisation) support or promote (e.g. through social media posts, donations, attending protests and other direct actions etc.)?
- What do you do to support or promote each of the causes you have identified?
our products are eco-friendly
Environment and Sustainability
- Do you reuse, recycle and/or donate any waste products (e.g. food, plastics, packaging etc.)?
- Do you only use recycled or recyclable materials for packaging?
- Is all of your packaging biodegradable?
- Does your business, organisation or project follow a zero waste philosophy?
Energy, Transport and Distribution
- How many of the products you produce and/or retail, and/or the ingredients you use, are made in the country in which your entity (business, organisation) is based?
- Does your business/organisation use an ethical bank or building society?
What was the motivation behind your brand, business or organisation? What did you want to change in the world?
I love pottery but I felt like there was a lack of information in the industry about the ingredients ceramics are made with - many of which are obtained in ways that are harmful to animals, people and the environment. I wanted to change that and create more awareness around harmful ingredients. At Oxford Clay, there is a clear downloadable list of ingredients so people know exactly what goes into making their products.
Who is the team behind your brand, business or organisation?
Just me, Katherine Tomlinson - studio potter.
What one thing about your brand, business or organisation would most surprise us or is not known outside of your team?
I've always wanted to start pottery but it took me over 20 years to do it! Follow your passions and interests - stop telling yourself you can't. You will feel so much more aligned with yourself and it will bring so much joy into your life.
If your brand, business or organisation could be granted one wish, what would you wish for?
I'm going with the 'go big or go home' philosophy and I'm going to say an end to cruelty against animals and people.
Is there anything else that you would like to share with us about your brand, business or organisation?
I have some e-books coming out soon for:
- Potters on how to make their practice more ethical and sustainable.
- Consumers on how to find out if their handmade pottery is vegan friendly.
They will be available on my website at oxfordclay.co.uk.