Lotus Heart Sanctuary Isle of Skye
- Lotus Heart Sanctuary Isle of Skye
More about Lotus Heart Sanctuary Isle of Skye
The sanctuary is a place for human & non-human animals to come together as one. The pods allow humans to retreat into nature to relax and unwind whilst being close to rescued animals from the meat, dairy and pet industries. The pods help to generate income to sustain the sanctuary and all who live here. The pods are also used for advocacy for our non-vegan guests.
Children & dogs are welcome, normally only 1 child and 1 dog (2 dogs at a push) this is due to the size of the pods. The pods have a small double bed, sofa bed for kids, shower room, small kitchen with fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster and kettle. The views are stunning from every part of the pod.
Wheelchair access: No
Wheelchair accessible toilet: No
Connect & follow Lotus Heart Sanctuary Isle of Skye
- Are all the products your entity (business, brand, organisation) produces and/or retails suitable for vegans? If no, then, unfortunately, you cannot register as we only accept submissions from 100% vegan entities.
- Which of the following best describes you (professionals and sole traders) or your organisation?
- Is your organisation an independent business/brand or a corporate owned business/brand?
- Are you a Grassroots organisation (for projects, charities/NGOs)?
- What type of business/organisation are you?
- Are you a woman-owned/run business/organisation?
Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
- Which social, economic or environmental justice causes does your entity (business, brand, organisation) support or promote (e.g. through social media posts, donations, attending protests and other direct actions etc.)?
Feminism and gender justice
- What do you do to support or promote each of the causes you have identified?
Advocacy and activism
- Do any of the products you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, have fairtrade certifications?
Some (less than a third)
Environment and Sustainability
- Do you reuse, recycle and/or donate any waste products (e.g. food, plastics, packaging etc.)?
- Does your business support or give back to the local community in any way?
- Does your business/organisation use an ethical bank or building society?
What was the motivation behind your project?
Thich Nhat Hanh (Thay) inspired me to go vegan from a lifelong vegetarian in 2010, and at that time I vowed to do more for all beings; human & non-human. In 2010 I made a vision board featuring a sanctuary called Lotus which would be mainly for cows located in the Scottish Highlands. I got heavily involved in activism & advocacy for peace, animal rights & human rights. Doing vigils at slaughterhouses made me really push to bring that vision off the vision board and into reality - in 2020 Lotus Heart Sanctuary opened.
What did you want to change in the world?
I wanted to help change the wrong perceptions & prejudices we hold against certain species of animals, and the wrong perceptions & prejudices we hold against certain fellow humans.
Who is the team behind your project?
Thay inspired me, and the animals motivated me and the Universe did the rest.
What one thing about your project would most surprise us?
That I have done it all single-handed and still do!
If your project could be granted one wish, what would you wish for?
A community of like-minded people who’d be engaged in helping to change the world.
Is there anything else that you would like to share with us about your project?
Lotus exists to rescue & care for animals of various species, and to speak out against any injustice observed. There are camping pods to raise money & awareness, and also an online shop selling vegan clothing & merch, which we began doing in 2015 as Bohemian Hippy.