More about ishga
The name ishga is derived from the Gaelic word for water.
The pure, clean waters of the Hebridean Islands off the north west coast of Scotland is home to ishga, and where we sustainably hand harvest the seaweed that's at the heart of our skincare range.
Hebridean seaweed contains natural antioxidants with properties which transform and protect tired or aging skin. ishga has developed a bespoke process to extract its natural goodness, harnessing an abundance of vitamins and minerals to create a remarkable range of products.
It's the secret to younger, healthier skin - let us share it with you.
15% off all products (excludes gift sets)
Promo code: ETHICALGLOBE15
Discover organic seaweed skincare with 15% off all products at www.uk.ishga.com.
Excludes gift sets. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount codes, points or promotions. One use per customer. UK customers only.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01851 703 278
Connect & follow ishga
- Are all the products your entity (business, brand, organisation) produces and/or retails suitable for vegans? If no, then, unfortunately, you cannot register as we only accept submissions from 100% vegan entities.
- Which of the following best describes you (professionals and sole traders) or your organisation?
- Is your organisation an independent business/brand or a corporate owned business/brand?
- Are you a Grassroots organisation (for projects, charities/NGOs)?
- Are you a BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic) owned/run business/organisation?
- What type of business/organisation are you?
- Are you a woman-owned/run business/organisation?
Social, Economic and Environmental Justice
- Which social, economic or environmental justice causes does your entity (business, brand, organisation) support or promote (e.g. through social media posts, donations, attending protests and other direct actions etc.)?
- What do you do to support or promote each of the causes you have identified?
We partner with relevant local and national charities to frequently provide donations and financial support
- Does your business/organisation have an ethical labour policy or code of practice (either formal or informal) which ensures fair labour practices?
- Does your business/organisation have policies and practices which actively promote diversity and inclusion?
- Is your business a member of the World Fair Trade Organisation?
- Do you source products and/or ingredients from companies and suppliers that support fair labour practices?
As much as possible
Environment and Sustainability
- If any of the products you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, have a sustainable production certification, please indicate which certifications apply?
- Overall, how many of the products that you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, are certified by the sustainable production certifications listed in the question above?
Many (one to two thirds)
- Are any of the products that you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, produced using sustainable production methods albeit uncertified?
- Are any of the products that you produce and/or retail, or ingredients you use, free of palm oil?
- Do you only use recycled or recyclable materials for packaging?
- Is all of your packaging biodegradable?
Energy, Transport and Distribution
- How many of the products you produce and/or retail, and/or the ingredients you use, are made in the country in which your entity (business, organisation) is based?
- Does your business support or give back to the local community in any way?
1. What was the motivation behind your project? What did you want to change in the world?
ishga creates organic seaweed skincare, made in the Isle of Lewis, Scotland. When we first started, our aim was to use our island's unique resource of potent Hebridean seaweed to create results-driven, sustainable skincare which delivered powerful effects for all skin types. Seaweed is full of rich antioxidant polyphenols, and having it in abundance on the shores of our island means that we are in a very unique position to be able to share it with the world in our remarkable skincare range. Our seaweed harvesting process is sustainable and we always aim to protect our local marine ecosystems.
2. Who is the team behind your project?
The brand was born from a passion for beauty, science and seaweed. Malcolm Macrae is from the village of Leurbost on the Isle of Lewis and is one of our Directors and Co-founders. Malcolm studied at university in Glasgow where he obtained a BSc Degree in Marine Biology and a Masters in Chemistry. Following this, Malcolm worked in the Pharmaceutical Industry for eleven years before joining Scottish Water, Scientific Services. Joanna has been a beauty therapist since 1997 working for Clarins and through her passion for skincare began researching the possibility of creating an organic, seaweed-based brand. The obvious combination of scientist and beauty therapist inspired the ishga range.
Martin MacLeod is also from the village of Leurbost on the Isle of Lewis and is a Director and Co-founder. Before the set-up of the company, Martin was previously employed in the seaweed processing industry and has over fourteen years of experience in this field. It would be hard to find somebody more passionate about seaweed and its many uses.
Leon Trayling is from the West Coast of Scotland and is another of our Directors and Co-founders. Leon has over twenty years of experience working across the Spa, Leisure and Hotel industries. After meeting Martin, Malcolm and Joanna in 2011 he became very excited about the opportunity to introduce a high-quality Scottish product to the market.
3. What one thing about your project would most surprise us?
Seaweed is a natural resource that grows in abundance in the pure unpolluted coastal waters of the Hebridean Islands of Scotland. It has been used for centuries for its natural healing and therapeutic properties and is known to contain a balanced combination of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids and antioxidants that are considered essential for maintaining healthy and youthful skin.
Seaweed is our main active ingredient and is said to help tighten and tone, stimulate and improve blood and lymph circulation, deep clean, and increase the skin’s moisture levels and elasticity and is reputed to help with skin conditions such as Eczema and Psoriasis. Seaweed is increasingly becoming a popular choice in Spa and Thalassotherapy and is now being recognised for its ability to revitalise, repair, and moisturise the skin, promoting a healthy, glowing appearance.
4. If your project could be granted one wish, what would you wish for?
To share the importance of investing in sustainable, effective natural skincare.
5. Is there anything else that you would like to share with us about your project?
ishga has agreements in place with the Crown Estate and local private estates to exclusively harvest Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed throughout Lewis and Harris. The company also works closely with Scottish Natural Heritage and SEPA to ensure the seaweed harvesting is sustainable and environmentally friendly.